Thursday, March 4, 2010

Wagga Wagga, New South Wales, Australia

Remember how nothing completely out of the ordinary has happened in my life since I randomly went to Tasmania (2 weeks ago)? Well, there has been yet another massive change in my travel plans. And by massive change, I mean, all travel plans have been scrapped.

Here's the story.

On Monday I went onto to look for possible places of employment. Normally when I go to this site, I need to make sure that I pick Melbourne as my default city. For some reason on Monday I forget to do this and unknowingly began searching jobs in Sydney. After going into the sports & leisure section I found this job posting. Take a minute to read it now.

After reading this posting, I was vibrating with excitement. This job had absolutely everything I was looking for. It gave me a place to sleep, place to eat, and the ability to see the entire country (something I really wanted to do). I quickly put together a package and sent it off in hope of landing one of the 4 available spots.

And then I had to wait. And wait. A day passes. And then another. In the waiting period I had an interview with a company in charge of hiring hospitality positions at the Australian Grand Prix. At the end of this interview I am all but certain that I will be offered a position at the Grand Prix. Initially when I arrived in Melbourne, I would have been quite thrilled to get this job, but after seeing the other posting for the trip around Australia, the Grand Prix just didn't seem as good. At this point, I decided that I would probably work the Grand Prix and then travel to Perth following that (or if I didn't get a job at the Grand Prix go straight to Perth). On Wednesday morning, I had resigned myself to the fact that I wasn't going to get the job I really wanted and decided to head down to the beach for a while.

On the way back from the beach, I decided to stop off at one of my free wifi stops and check my email. I quickly went through the emails and noticed one from an address that I was not familiar with that was titled 'schedule.' I read the email, which was sent to as a means to scare me off with the amount of work, and immediately went back to the hostel to call Sarah (the person who is running around Australia). I talked briefly to Sarah who mentioned that it would be great for me to get to meet her in Wagga Wagga before heading to Sydney and that the ideal day to meet was the very next day. So I got off the phone, went to the computer, booked a train ticket to Wagga Wagga and called Sarah back to let her know that I would be there the next day.

Following those crazy events, I went to the front desk of my hostel to let them know I was leaving and to reschedule the remaining 6 nights that I had already paid for. After that I went back onto the computer because I hadn't a clue where Wagga Wagga was actually located.

After all of this, I quickly did laundry, packed up my things and got ready to leave early this morning for NSW once again. And here I am.

I'm not entirely positive that I'm locked in for this job, but I believe I've got a very good chance. If all goes according to plan I will spend the next 8 months touring the country. I still can't believe this is happening.


  1. Waaahhhhhhhhhhhhoooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  2. Sounds awesome Gibby! Hope its a go! - Kendra