Saturday, September 3, 2011

New York, New York, United States of America

Here is the continuation of my random thoughts on my way to New York. Got a little weird overnight in the Toronto airport.

2:15- There is music being pumped in all over the airport. I'm enjoying it.



2:26- needed a fresh air break from my inability to sleep on the uncomfortable benches. It's
warmer in TO now than it was all day in Edmonton.


2:44- Airports than have arm rests on their benches are inconsiderate of overnight travelers.


2:51- After all the crap music played in the airport tonight, there is is a beauty. Rebellion (Lies).

3:54- Hey, it's a marginal nap!! And now I try to clear security and customs again.

4:08- Boarding pass = progress

4:18- Lineups are a way of life in airports. Learn to love them.

4:21- Nothing better than a window seat when flying into one of the great cities of the world.

4:26- There is potential for a sensual pat-down this morning. Man are they going to be
disappointed that I haven't showered yet.

4:42- American customs is in the bag! Well not like that. Seriously, they are not corrupt. Where
are you taking me?

4:44- A nice big empty walkway. Still with music playing loudly before 5am.


5:00- It's 3am in Edmonton and I'm starting to crash. Body is revolting. Bags under the eyes.
Etc etc.


5:07- Despite all the craziness and sleep-deprivation that goes along with traveling, I think I
enjoy it so much because I actually get some time by myself. I get to think, without distraction. I
get to read. I get to write. Generally it puts my soul at ease. It also reminds me how amazing last
year was.

5:11- I am currently living on Handsome Furs cranked up to 11. It's my stay awake fuel.

5:51- ima gunna be in NY in less than two hours. Holy poop.

6:10- Airplane time!


6:11- I got another stamp in my passport today. Bonus.

6:22- Again, I'm relying on sleeping on an airplane to make it through a day. I know how this
ends.

7:10- yiewwww! Threw down another nap and I'm now up over and hour of sleep spread over 12
hours.

7:11- this lovely wing will be blocking my view of the city when I land.


7:54- Alright, now I'm excited.

8:08- Wikitravel was right. Laguardia is a dump.

8:20- Taxi ride number 2 of 'today'


8:25- I regret not peeing before leaving the airport. Road be bumpy.

8:27- I am fascinated with this place already. Photo

8:34- I remember the rough parts of America being pretty sketch. Not much changed.

8:35- Man none of the stores are even open yet. It can't possibly be this early.

8:36- My poor camera is doomed to a weekend of exhaustive work.

8:38- Slowly starting to put together why this neighborhood looks dodgy. Harlem. That explains
it.


8:44- I'm not certain if my aggressive pedestrian style is going to fit in here or get me killed.

8:46- Parking and double parking appear to be a bit of an issue here.

8:59- And I made it to the hotel! Bags are dropped off. Facilities were borrowed. Thanks for
following my rambles. Now the fun really begins.


2 comments:

  1. Sleep is overrated at your age anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you did these time blogs every day... ohhh to get into the mind of GibbY!
    sue

    ReplyDelete