Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia (2)

Hello and good morning from the Top End of Australia. As you may have figured out by now, I am currently residing in Darwin which is a smaller isolated city at the northern tip of the country. It has been a busy few days as I have tried to experience as much as I can in the week that I have to spend here.

When I first arrived in Darwin, I first dropped my bags off at my hostel, grabbed my camera and immediately went for a walk. I found myself first at the Waterfront which is a redevelopment of an old wharf that had not seen any relevant redevelopment since it was bombed by the Japanese in WWII. After wandering around this area for a bit, I noticed there was a thunderstorm in the distance so I walked to a different part of town to catch the action.



The next day I went on an exceptionally long and sweaty walk through Darwin in an attempt to see as much of the city as I could. I made it down the Espelenade, to Cullen Bay, Mindl Beach, Botanical Gardens, north edge of downtown and back to the Waterfront.



The following day I decided to take a one day tour into one of the nearby national parks. My tour was scheduled to stop at various locations in Litchfield National Park but first we made a stop on the Adelaide River to see some snakes and jumping crocodiles. After that we traveled the park to see the termite mounds, Wangi Falls, Tolmer Falls and then a swin in Florence Falls and the Buley Rockhole.


Jumping Crocodile


Florence Falls



Since I have returned from the tour, and had a look at my bank account, I decided to take it easy for a little while in order to try to save some money in the 7 weeks before I begin my job. My life will likely be filled with the things that can be enjoyed for free (i.e. library, reading, running, photograhy, watching sunsets). This will likely be the last post until I return to civilization in SE Australia this weekend. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment