Monday, April 12, 2010

Perth, Western Australia, Australia (3)

I hope you have some free time saved up today because I have a large amount of information to pass along to you.

As you already know, I made my way to Perth on April 3 and have been in the area ever since. I started my time here staying in a community called Northbridge which is located immediately north (go figure) of the Central Business District (CBD). I spent my first few days wandering Perth, getting a feel for the city, and appreciating Kings Park.


After a few days in the city, I was starting to get a little bored because there wasn't a lot to do in Perth so I decided to change hostels and I took my bags to Fremantle. Freo (for short) is a town built beside a shipping port. The city boomed in the late 1800s and early 1900s and as a result has a very historic feel as a majority of the buildings from that era remain. Freo's location on the ocean also means there are several beaches in the area which have yet to have me visit because the weather has been cool.


During my days in Freo I have been able to take in most of the city on various walks. I've also spent a day riding the light rail around the countryside to see some of the communities in the area (Mandurah, Joondalup, Cootsloe and Clarkson).


So far the highlight in Fremantle was the footy match (Australian Football League) that I attended. The Fremantle Dockers took on the defending Premiership champions Geelong and won an absolutely thrilling game. In the process the Fremantle won me over as I was trying too decide which team in the league would become my favorite.


Fremantle Entrance


Bounce


Geelong Goal


Highlights from the End of the Match



Despite how much I like how the city looks, I've had several instances in the street where I doubted my safety and also been through a few incidents at my hostel. This along with the lack of work has caused me to question my ability to live here long term (long term is relative for me). Because of these reasons, I will be announcing some major news in the next few days. When you see it, you will know what it is. Hope you enjoyed the post. Cheers.

2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed the posts yes. Killing me to find out what the news is....becoming a caddy? For Michael Campbell? Better hurry, he's wearing out his welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking for a short term job...but not THAT short term.

    ReplyDelete