Friday, April 9, 2010

Perth, Western Australia, Australia (2)

This journey began on December 19th with a trip to Yellowknife, NWT to help out my adopted family. They were in need for a photographer to take family photos for them, because for the first time in years they were able to get the entire family together (now with the addition of the first grandchild as well). As someone who has been lucky enough to be informally made a part of this family, I never hesitated in wanting to help them out. So many times in my life, they have been there for me and I was glad that I could finally reciprocate in some way.

What I never knew was that this wouldn't be the first time in ages that the whole family would be together, but it would also be the last. Life is always, for better or worse, unpredictable. The latter became painfully evident following the tragic news of the sudden loss of the father of my wonderful adopted family.

I met Michael in 2003 at my first episode of crashing a family wedding. Despite crashing a wedding and spending the night in the same hotel room as three of his daughters he never thought twice about inviting me to breakfast in the morning (althought he gave me a hard time about it). From that point on, I was treated as his son. For him to consider me a part of his family, I will be forever grateful.

I have taken a few days now to reflect on his place in my life. I have realized that he was tremendous father that was able to create (with Nadine) a loving and caring family. I hope this family can cope with his loss, but I know they will be able because of his presence in their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment