Monday, August 9, 2010

Bangkok, Thailand

8:23- Welcome back to another segment of my running travel diary. The occasion for today's diary is to commemorate my final day in Australia and my flight to Bangkok. This marks the beginning of the really long 2 month trip back to Canada. Here's to an interesting day.

8:26- I am currently in queue to get into the washroom for a shower before packing up all my things. In the interim I am trying to sit still on the top bunk so that I don't wake up the person underneath while at the same time, trying not to pee my pants.

8:50- I am disturbingly calm for a day like today. Especially considering I haven't gone pee yet.

9:20- And just like that, I am showered and checked out of the hostel. Problem is that now I have nothing to do and nowhere to go. Whoops.

9:29- Today is already showing signs of being a messed up day. It's starting to hit me.

9:59- Now I feel much better. Just had another Woolworths muffin. They are delish.

10:03- It's library time. One last chance to charge my gadgets and check my email. Good to see that the guy that is here everyday to play Sim City is already getting comfy.

10:04- And there is the crazy lady who talks to herself. The whole gang is here.

10:46- iPod is charged and it's time to get to the airport. The question is am I lazy enough to take a tram to Spencer Street? The answer is obviously yes.

11:04- Captains log. Man wearing blazer, ugly sweater and hiking boots. Looks suspicious and hilarious.

11:07- Welcome to Sky Bus, where the end of your journey begins. On my way to the airport after running to catch the free tram.

11:09- Holy crap. Bangkok tonight. They don't speak English there, do they? This is going to be fun.

11:19- And there's the first near-tears moment of the day. Just thought about seeing my family at the airport when I get back to Canada.

11:56- Checked in already. And just in time for a goodbye lunch.

11:57- I love how no one cares about rugby here. Just saw two Melbourne Storm players walking through the airport. Not only were they not bothered, I was the only person to do a double take.

12:14- It's a small world. Just ran into a person I met at my hostel last night.

12:29- Could really go for some wifi right now. Could also go for a larger keyboard or skinnier thumbs. Really struggling to type today.

1:47- After a nice long lunch with Richard, I am scrambling to my gate. Wheeee!!!

1:49- Bye Melbourne. It's been amazing.

2:31- Successfully power napped. I tried to read through the entire flight and fell asleep within the first 10 minutes.

2:32- Bonus points to the new born sitting 2 seats over that hasn't even realized he's on a plane yet.

2:48- Qantas is awesome. I am currently watching Mythbusters on TV. This makes flights feel shorter.

3:20- Well hello there Sydney. Long time no see. Wish I had time to stick around and chat.

3:27- Just saw one of the guys from the 7pm Project. Aussies will understand that.

3:34- Look at me. Just got a fist full of Thai Baht. I'm ready for Thailand and I have no Aussie money left.

3:35- I am now sitting in the lounge waiting for the terminal transfer and they are showing rugby. Ugh. I miss Victoria.

3:37- Here's my interpretation of the rugby commentary 'blah blah blah boring.' Really hope no one from NSW reads this.

3:39- Sweet merciful crap, there is AFL on. Oh wait, it's Richmond. Nevermind.

3:43- It's not even dinner time and I've already ridden a tram, bus, airplane and another bus.

3:45- This is an awesome bus ride around the Tarmac. I feel like I should have had to pay to get this close to all the airplanes. Sweet as.

3:49- The length of that transfer makes me nervous about my luggage.

3:57- Customs. Check. Security. Check. Nothing left to do but leave.

3:58- Apple store in the airport? Cruel. And brilliant.

3:59- My whole time in Oz I've been on flight numbers 768, 438, etc. Tonight I'm on Flight 1.

4:00- The nice part about exchanging all your currency over is that you can't blow your money at the airport waiting for your flight.

4:01- OK I am confused. Looks like my gate is blocked off entirely.

4:12- I am through to my gate and I am currently trying to psych myself up to get on my plane out of Australia. It is not going well.

4:14- The song currently playing on my iPod is the same one that I was playing when I first saw the Sydney Harbor and nearly had my heart explode.

4:19- It's nice to know that I will always have that song. Every time I hear it, all my memories of Australia flash through my head.

4:24- I'm not sure I am ready to go yet. Too many people that I want to see again.

4:26- Bathroom break! But seriously I am currently sitting on the toilet.

4:30- Paging all passengers, this is a general boarding call for the rest of your life. Have a nice flight.

4:39- I did it. It's over. I'm on the plane.

4:40- The abundance of good looking girls on this flight is making it a lot easier to leave.

4:49- Plane is almost ready to go and there is no one else in my row. Not getting my hopes up. Not getting my hopes up. Not getting my hopes up.

5:14- Just flew out of Sydney at sunset (with my new window seat). It looked disturbingly fake. Not real. Just like it looks like on TV. Just like it looked before I got here. Just a picture on a screen.

5:30- Just read the menu for dinner tonight and I'm suddenly glad I spent the extra money to fly with Qantas. Having lamb for dinner.

5:58- I am overly excited for dinner. They are making it right beside me And I am listening to Angus & Julia Stone on the entertainment system. Wish I could just sleep on this plane tonight.

6:40- What a dinner. And what a way to follow it up. Watching highlights from the Masters. I'm in dork heaven.

7:19- Time for my yearly attempt at liking tomato juice. Wish me luck.

7:29- Just looked at how much longer I am on this flight. Over 6 hours. Oh boy it's going to be a long night.

7:30- Random thing I learned about Australia today; you are allowed through security in airports without a boarding pass.

7:41- So my official position on tomato juice is that I can stand half a glass....and only if it's got Tobasco in it.

8:01- Just polished off my 4th book since I quit my job and my 18th book of the trip. Only another 5 hours to go. Wheee!

8:02- I miss my English/Dutch friend.

8:15- Am I seriously flying to Thailand right now??? My life is much much too weird.

9:16- Thanks to the Dan Lebatard Show for the entertainment it's provided for me on this trip and at the moment.

10:19- Being able to lie down is really helping me nap today.

11:44- The one thing that is not conducive to my napping is airplane dropping turbulence. That was interesting. Glad I wasn't in the washroom for that one.

11:49- Okay, now I need to go to the washroom but I don't trust that we are clear of the turbulence. Dilemma.

8:51- This day is officially 27 hours long. Time change!!

8:55- "All passengers and crew in their seats with their seatbelts on, please." That is never comforting to hear. If this keeps up we are going to miss out on our evening snack....or plummet to earth.

8:58- There is definitely some sort of system in the area because we have changed our course, increased our cruising altitude and speed. Now would be a good time to be less observant.

9:00- And the entertainment system has inexplicably stopped working. Nervous yet???

9:01- Time to listen to the new Arcade Fire album. That'll make everything okay.

9:02- Good news. I'm back in the northern hemisphere. It's good to be back on the correct half if the world.

9:37- Cabin lights are coming back on, which can only mean one thing. More food!

9:38- I'm still a little stunned that I haven't been a little more unstable through this flight. I'm nervously waiting for my brain to realize what is going on and for the emotions to all come pouring out. Maybe it won't happen. Maybe I'm beginning hardened to my emotions again. Or maybe it's just building like a volcano, just waiting to blow up.

9:55- It has been deemed too dangerous to serve food due to turbulence. Luckily for me, I've already got mine. Muwhahaha

9:56- Just had to chug my tea so that it didn't end up on my lap. Good times.

10:05- Look at that, right over Ho Chi Minh City at the moment. That's about as close as I will get.

10:16- Bikkity Bam. Less than an hour to go. I'm now making up words. Fiddle wiggle.

10:26- How absurd is it that people can fly around this planet at 40,000 feet and it's no big deal?

10:27- I'm currently embracing the feeling of being cold. I have a jacket and blanket on and it feels great. Too bad I won't have this feeling again until I hit London. Better enjoy it.

10:43- Every time I look at the flight tracker, I see all the cities around where I am and it kinda weirds me out that I'm not in Canada.

11:17- Bangkok!

11:27- So weird to see Thai people again.

11:37- Immigration is much simpler in Thailand than most countries. That's handy when it's past 2am.

11:47- You know what I could go for right now? My luggage.

11:56- Time for the old midnight Bangkok taxi ride. One of my least favorite things about this country. At least I got a meter cab.

11:59- 110km/h in. 60 zone. Love Thailand.

12:06- Rocking out to Hotel California in the cab. Awesome.

12:32- And I am sweating. In my defense, I'm still wearing my jacket.

12:33- Looks like I am flying solo in my dorm tonight.

12:37- Just went for a quick walk around. I'm not sure there is anyone else in hostel at all. Mildly creeped out, but the place is less than 2 months old and nicer than most places I stayed in Oz. Guess it will have to do.

12:46- I am officially settled into my hostel in Bangkok and miraculously I kept it together the entire day. So that marks the end of yet another epic travel day. Hoped you enjoyed the ride. Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment