Friday, September 17, 2010

Paris, Ile-de-France, France

In case you weren't sure what happened to me, I'm alive in well in Paris and loving life. I arrived very late from Prague and faced a bit of nightmare trying to figure out how to get into the city because the train was under construction. Eventually I rolled into the city following an 80 minute journey through the night.

The next morning I started my day with a 4 hour wander through the city seeing such sights as the Louvre, Chain Bridge, Grand Palais, Palace, Tour Eiffel, etc. Following that I went to the Gare de L'est to meet see the first familiar face in months. Leanne and I continued to wander around the city by walking towards down Champs Elysees, sitting to people watch and gawking at the bronze medal winning team from the World Judo Championships. After all that we made it to the Arc de Trumph before walking down the Seine then going back to the Gare du Nord to meet my cousin Tommy. Following that we met up some friends of Leanne and headed to a restaurant called A Petiite Auberge. The meal was fantastic and the day wiped me out because I crashed instantly when I got back to my bed.

The next day, I woke up and traveled to the south part of the city to meet Leanne and head off for Versailles. We toured the palace for hours before succombing to hunger and eatin a baguette, cheese, jam, bananas and milk in the classiest of locations, the train station. After that we went back to pick up Tommy and went to Sacred Couer to see the city at sunset. Following that we met up with friends and went for cous-cous in St Michel followed by checking out the Tour Effiel at night.

Some other fun things that have happened since I've been here include:
1. I'm rapidly relearning a language that I last knew 15 years ago in elementary school.
2. I knew my friend Leanne was a photography nut like me, so I broke out my back up camera DSLR and we tag-teamed the Palace of Versailles.
3. It's been absolutely unbelievable to once again see people I know. The strangest thing about meeting my friend Leanne is that we haven't seen each other since we both lived in Saskatoon (4+ years).
4. I'm starting to get really excited to see my parents in a few days. Judging by the lack of sleep that's coming in the next two days, I hope I'm awake when I see them.
5. I seem to have fallen off the wagon. I'm 6 drinks (1 cider, 5 wines) into my future alcoholism problem.

Photos are a long ways off right now, but they're going to be awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment