Sunday, September 12, 2010

Prague, Czech Republic (2)

Do you ever get the feeling like everyday just feels exactly like the one before it? Like no matter what happens in your life, you kind of know what to expect and you really aren't caught off guard by anything? It's the Groundhog Day affect that develops after a while things become repititive. Somehow, this has happened to me. Traveling from city to city, seeing the places I'm seeing has become expected, average even. Everyday and every location starts to feel the same after a while. I have felt this way before while going to work day after day and wondering what I could do to break that feeling (apparently traveling around the world for a year was not the right answer, hahaha).

What I do know is that this has become my new normal. I show up in a new city without any preparation, no idea where anything is, don't know how to get around, or understand the language but I know that I will figure it out. Not knowing was the scariest thing for me when I was leaving behind my 'old' normal life. The strangest part of this is that returning back to what is considered normal and stable for most seems completely foreign to me. I don't know how I will fit back into that lifestyle again. Deep down I know I will be able to, because people (including me) always adapt and readjust as necessary. However, the same fear I faced right before I left on this trip has now resurfaced in advance of my impending return to Canada (27 days!). I'm facing so many unknowns when I get back from relationships, to work, to housing, to family, that I don't know what to expect of my new lifestyle.

If I've learned anything on this trip it's that I don't always need to know everything before it happens. It's nice when you do, but sometimes you just have to wing it and see how it turns out. I guess I've got that to look forward to.

Now that you've made it through my random mental diarrhea, you get to experience the randomness that is my life. I saw a lady today with a hairdo that was a combination of an afro and a mullet. I never knew that was possible, but it was great. She was sitting beside me on a bench today as I ate my dinner. Yes, I live like a homeless person. Still reading? Too bad. I'm finished. Here's some photos.







4 comments:

  1. so out of all the photo's you took, do you at least have one of the mullet lady ? :)
    -JD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes please, mullet lady required.

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gibby - I so enjoy your pictures and can't believe the way you look at the world...it's so interesting. Enjoy the adventure.

    S

    ReplyDelete
  4. JD, KR - Sorry no photo of the mullet lady. I was searching for her today.
    SS - Thanks for the kind words. Insanity helps give you a different perspective on the world.

    ReplyDelete