Friday, October 8, 2010

Frankfurt, Hesse, Germany (2)

Six weeks of planes, trains and automobiles have taken me on an extraordinary trip around this continent and all the way back the Frankfurt. Tomorrow I get on yet another plane but it will be anything but orginary.

January 9, 2010 I left Canada. Nine months later, I am preparing for my return to my home and native land. Tomorrow I complete my lap around the world. When anything substantial comes to an end you tend to reflect and that's no different for me.

I enjoy looking at my life in time segments. Like where was I ___ days ago. For example, a month ago I was in eastern Europe. Two months ago I was saying goodbye to my second home, Melbourne, Australia. In an even more short term example, today I'm in Germany and tomorrow I'm going to be in Canada. All of these examples still seem entirely ridiculous to me. I can't believe all the places I've been. I can't believe what I've been through. I can't believe how long it's felt since I've been home. And I can't believe it's almost over.

The last 9 months have been two things.
1. The longest 9 months of my life. There have been numerous trying times where I was unsure of who I was and what I was doing. Days where I just wanted to go home and hope that no one would notice I had left.
2. And the fastest 9 months of my life. I look back on everything I've done and seen and can not easily fathom how I managed to accomplish that in such a short period of time. There are so many new relationships with people and with locations that developed so quickly.

I truly believe that it's going to take several years to gain the appropriate perspective of what is just about to end. This year has been a divergence from what I expected my life to be and will change who I am forever. At this point I don't know exactly how that is going to play out or what it's really means. But I do know that at the end of it all, I am a better person. For that, I am grateful. I am thankful. I am happy. And I am crying.
_______________________________

Hahahaha. Wish I could explain why I find my own tears hilarious. For you suffering through my emotional jumble I am going to reward you with a play-by-play travel diary from my trip back to Canada tomorrow. However, that is likely to become an emotional mess as well, so buyer beware. See you in Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment