Saturday, October 9, 2010

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

Diary
23:18- just checking in to kick off yet another running diary. The occasion today is my return to Canada and the completion of my lap around the world. I have already arrived at the airport and have checked my luggage already (may have, maybe, slightly forgot about this). Anyways should prove to be a exciting day and I want to take you along for the ride.

23:20- you may have noticed that I am already using the time zone of my destination. This is because I tried to get accustomed to my new time zone before leaving the old one. This has meant a few late evenings the last two days. I just hope it's not a catastrophic jetlag failure because I am going against the conventional rules.

23:23- Already got a nice perk today. Because I have some weird inter airline connection I got to check in with the business class folks and bypassed a massive line in the process. Good start for Luftansa.

23:36- And security line from hell. At least I can't understand anyone.

23:44- Judging by how stringent the security appears, this will be the safest flight I've ever been on.

23:51- I'm secure.

23:53- got another stamp on the ol' passport. Wahoooo!

23:55- I would if you had an allergy to perfume, walking through an international departure hall would be absolute hell.

23:57- Just realized I left my Canadian money in my checked luggage. Epic fail. That'll come in handy for my layover in Calgary.

0:00- Was going to comment about something else, but look at the clock. Cool.

0:01- Anyways, I just put my wallet in my pocket for the first time since January. It was strangely liberating not carrying it. Plus it was one last thing to forget.

0:10- I'm going to ignore that the sun is coming up and keep pretending it's midnight. Although if it's midnight I should be going to bed...

0:12- Just saw my plane. It's taking me to Canada. Just got a little misty in here.

0:18- Currently on a wild goose chase to find a Calippo for my sister. I've seen them everywhere on this trip and now that I need to find one. Nothing. Balls.

0:25- Yay! Got one. Now I just need to get it through Canadian customs and hope it doesn't explode on either flight.

0:28- And that concludes my trip around the airport. Not nearly as glorious as my upcoming achievement.

0:32- Alright. I'm ready to go..... You don't leave for another hour and a half..... Damn!

0:34- Time to burn off the last of the credit on my mobile. And go.

0:37- Weirdest thought of the day so far: I'm getting on a plane full of Canadians. That seems so strange.

0:50- Did I miss the boarding call? Everyone is getting on the plane. Wait for me!

1:06- So my plan to fend off jetlag was dependent on sleeping on the plane. Starting to regret my decision. I'm just going to end up really tired.

1:21- And I'm on the plane. Emotional stability reigns so far.

1:22- Just flipping through the CD selection on the plane and saw Owen Pallett. How did he get on a German airline entertainment system?

1:32- So the PA system is German first. Maybe this plane isn't full of Canadians. Can I take back that feeling?

2:06- nap #1 is out of the way. Now i just waiting for a nice meal. Don't let down let me down Lufthansa.

2:30- A mere eight hours and forty three minutes to go and I'm hitting the entertainment system really hard.

2:53- 8:20 to go!! Sigh.

3:30- I'm eating a meal. I don't know what meal it counts as though. But for the record it's German sausage.

3:32- the only thing I like about airplane food is that it comes in portions for normal people rather than the amount of food I would like to eat.

4:09- Alright it's time to try to organize the next 4 days of my life. I've got a lot to do before I take off for Vegas. I am making a list.

4:14- Temperature outside is aussentemperatur in German.

4:15- Still can't believe how much good music I've discovered this year. Currently listening to Dan Mangan for the 8.637th time.

4:16- It's really fun to sit and watch all the old people on the plane flock to the washrooms after being served tea and coffee.

4:17- Everyone getting up at the same time and going to the washroom must have some sort of affect on the balance of the plane right? That'd be a tragic and hilarious story if that was ever the causes of plane troubles.

4:22- Ao I've realized that you can get vegetarian options on airplanes but not halal options. That seems weird to me. And a little ignorant.

4:23- A large person just stepped on my toe. Please keep all arms and legs inside the vehicle at all times.

4:25- Forget to mention this before. The lady sitting beside me asked how much longer we had before our destination. I said seven hours. She responded with an exasperated repetition of what I said. Rookie. Seven is nothing.

6:10- Nap time and crying child time has just begun. Who knew they were related...

6:12- Just over the southern tip if Greenland at the moment. Don't have anything else to add except for this: neat.

6:20- I am kinda hoping that all the things I need to do in Calgary (pick up luggage, customs, etc) take a while. If I have to just sit there with nothing to do it may be the longest two hours of my life waiting for my plane to Saskatoon.

6:24- Everytime I listen to Ready to Start by The Arcade Fire it gets better.

6:29- Must have been gone for a while because it appears they started naming bodies of water after me. Over the Davis Straight.

6:31- Halfway point of the flight. This is not going quickly.

8:29- Just finished a nice session of Tap Tap Revenge and then did some stretching down by the washrooms. I think I cracked every bone in my body.

8:52- Between ready, games, podcasts and music I have done s great job of distracting myself for this entire flight so far.

9:35- I smell fajitas!!!

9:51- That is not fajitas. Veggie dumplings instead.

10:09- Just passed Saskatoon. Will be back in 4 hours after a detour through Alberta. Can't even blame Air Canada this time either.

10:49- Final decent into Calgary and I couldn't be happier.

10:52- And it just hit me for the first time. I saw the prairies underneath the plane and realized that I'm almost home.

11:19- Woooooooooo!!!!!!

11:20- I don't think I could have picked a better person to sit beside for the flight back. She is moving to Canada and this was her first visit. When we landed in Calgary she started to cry. Nothing else could drive home the feeling of how happy I am to be back and how proud I am to be Canadian.

11:35- I think I just got away with bringing way more than you are allowed to bring in. Have $1200 in goods with me.

11:47- it's taking everything I've got to not break out in a freaking/happy dance. Thrilled to be in Canada.

11:48- Clearing customs and finding connecting flights is easy when everyone speaks English.

11:49- Just walked past Harveys. Will power is at full strength.

12:14- I am dreading how much weight I'm going to gain. There are so many places I haven't been to in ages and I want to eat at all of them. Right now.

12:18- I wish I could feel like this all the time. Not a worry in the world.

12:30- Please keep my sisters Calippo in your thoughts. It's now in my checked luggage and will be touch and go to see if it makes it intact or if my luggage is really dirty n

12:37- I think I've held out long enough. Going to get some Timmys.

12:39- No Canadian money. Packed away in my luggage. Baaaahhhhh

12:44- So the best part of being away for so long? Everything that seemed boring and trivial when I left is now new and exciting again. I can't wait to do silly things like drive the Yellowhead, or watch the news. I feel rejuvenated.

12:56- So it turns out it doesn't matter what sort of sleep strategy I took. I think my plan will backfire but I'm going to be running on adrenaline all day so it won't matter one bit.

13:17- One last flight and the lap is finally complete.

13:43- I could stare out the window of an airplane forever. Even flying over the prairies is entertaining for me.

13:58- So I appear to be in the middle of two massive emotional highs. The first was arriving in Canada and the second will be seeing my family again. In the interim I'm crammed into a tiny AC Jazz flight watching the clock tick.

14:17- Wow

14:18- I was wrong. Fastest flight ever.

14:26- And the lap around the world is now officially complete. I made it. Touched down in Saskatoon.

14:29- Waiting on the Tarmac at this point is just plain torture.

15:10- I've made it home and I've already starting doing laundry. It's so nice to see all my things again. Now it's time to get ready for the next trip n

15:11- I know you are all wondering about one more thing. The Calippo did not make it home intact. On the bright side y clothes all smell like Calippo now.

Thanks for reading and stay tuned for more adventures on Monday.

On my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment